08 septiembre 2010

It's been a week?

It's hard to believe I've only been here a little more than a week now. I feel like I've been here forever. I'm pretty used to the city now and how we get places, but I'm sure there is a lot I still haven't discovered. Yesterday was the first day of a 2 week long festival happening in Salamanca, and we saw an amazing fireworks display and watched a little bit of a concert last night. The finale of the fireworks was probably the best one I had ever seen, it lit up the entire sky.



Today we didn't have classes because of the festival, so in the morning me and the two girls I live with walked to the Plaza and met up with some other people in our group. We went to a chocolate shop and had churros and chocolate. For those of you who don't know, churros are similar to fried dough, but they are long strips of dough, often dipped in chocolate. I didn't get a picture of the churros, but I took some other pictures at that place.





Later in the day we tried to go find a football (soccer) game that was happening this afternoon, but we couldn't find where it was, so we just ended up taking a long walk along the river taking pictures. Here are a selection:

I already posted a picture or two of this cathedral, but I just can't get enough of it. Whenever I see it from a new angle I just have to take a picture. It's so beautiful, and it's visible from many parts of the city.

A cool old bridge we walked across.

Close up of the very top of the cathedral.

I'm not sure what this picture is but the glass on the front is gorgeous so I took a picture.

The view along the river was really nice, and this is one of my favorite pictures of it. I love how the bridge, water, trees and sky all go together.

Then later in the day there were lots of activities and entertainment throughout the center of the city for the festival. I had to go home for dinner soon after many of the things started so I didn't get to see much but I did see a few:

A street performer entertaining people before the main concert started in the Plaza. He was pretty funny and had a bunch of different skills to showcase. In this picture he is telling the crowd that the last part of his show would be him juggling a ball, a knife and a chainsaw, but I left before I got to see him do it.

Musicians and a musician showcasing flamenco. Also didn't get to stay for the whole thing, and I didn't get any good pictures of the dancing, but it was pretty cool.

This is probably going to be a long post, so I guess that's it for now. I'll post again when I have something else exciting to talk about. :)

1 comentario:

  1. Not sure where this is, but it's in a spanish-speaking country. . . and it has a cute dog in it. Enjoy!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5LP2jX5QyU&feature=player_embedded#!

    ResponderEliminar