01 septiembre 2010

Bienvenidos a España!

Bienvenidos/Welcome to my new blog about my Spain trip. I decided to start it so that I can keep people updated even without facebook. For now I'm just going to post what I originally posted on facebook, but there will be more to come soon.


Hola! I'm in Spain! After many long hours travelling I'm now at my homestay and settling in. I figured since I have some downtime I would update you all on what has happened so far, even though it's only my first day here. First of all, I had a few flight complications, which is even more difficult in a foreign country at an airport you've never been to. My first flight out of Boston seemed like it was gonna be fine and we started leaving the gate but then we had to pull back into the gate for a "security reason." It turned out that they found someone smoking in one of the plane bathrooms and had to make him get off the plane, and then they searched a bunch of bags of people sitting around him to make sure he hadn't done anything weird. So we finally took off an hour late. I originally had a two hour layover, which was now cut down to one, which seemed fine...until I got to Heathrow and it took forever to get to the other terminal I was supposed to be at. And I had to go through security again. So I basically ran to the gate and made it just as the flight was closing, but then found out that my bag wouldn't make it on the plane so it was better to wait for the next one, which they told me was several hours later, which would mean I would miss my group's bus once I got to Madrid. I was kinda freaking out at this point, but then it turned out that I could get an earlier flight that left in about half an hour, so I basically had to run to that gate too. That flight was fine, and kinda fun cuz I got bumped up to business class since the economy class was full. :) Once I got to Madrid I had some issues finding where I was supposed to meet the group, but eventually everything worked out.Then we had a 2 hour to arrive in Salamanca, which is a beautiful city. I haven't seen much but I like what I've seen.

The weirdest thing about being here is the time difference. It was only dark for about 4 or 5 hours while I was flying, so when the sun rose, my internal clock was really confused. Other than a short, very uncomfortable nap on the bus, I haven't slept since I got up yesterday morning, which was 30 hours ago. I'm exhausted but I don't feel like sleeping cuz it's still light out. It's so weird. I'll probably go to sleep very soon after dinner.

I like my host family and the apartment I'm staying in. I have my own room which is pretty cool, and there are two other students from my program staying here who seem nice. My host mother is very nice, and really likes to talk lol. I guess that's a good thing since I'll be exposed to lots of Spanish. I also have wifi, which is really great, and that's how I'm able to write this right now.

I guess that's it for now. I'll probably post pictures soon, as soon as I take more of them. :)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario