26 septiembre 2010

Final day of break

So it is now the final day of our break from classes, and we start our new classes tomorrow. I'm actually pretty excited  to start classes, which I'm usually not (haha) but I'm looking forward to being in a routine again (except for getting up for 9am classes every day) and I'm really interested in the topics of all of my classes. I'm taking Spanish language and Spanish literature (which I have to take) and then Spanish Cinema, History of Spain, and Spanish Culture. I'm hoping they are all fun, and I'm looking forward to learning more about Spain.

In terms of my break, I wasn't all that productive but I got to sleep in and relax every day, which was nice. I also went to see another movie, this time The Karate Kid, which I also saw already in English. This one was even easier for me to understand than the last one, but next time I want to challenge myself and see one that I haven't seen so I can see if I can actually follow a storyline in Spanish haha. The next one I want to see is called Lope, and it's the only movie in theaters right now that is actually made in Spain.

Probably the highlight of my break was last night when I went out with two girls that I met a few days ago. One of them is from England and the other one is from France, which is really exciting because one of the things I was looking forward to about coming here was meeting people from a bunch of different places. They're both really nice, and we had a lot of fun bar hopping and dancing a little. At one bar we ordered chupitos de la casa (shots of the house) just to see what they were, and this is what we got:

If you can't tell, that's whipped cream on top of them, and I got so excited when I saw that. I'm pretty sure it was something like Irish cream with whipped cream on top, and it was really fun! Then we realized that the brown part inside the glass (it basically looked like a smaller shot glass inside the glass one) is actually edible! It tasted like a cookie with chocolate on it. Overall, it was probably my favorite discovery that night haha.

I guess I'll also give some more examples of food we have eaten so far. We usually start with soup so here's a picture of one of the soups we've had:

This is one we have pretty often. It's basically just broth with pasta in it, but it's really good. Usually she changes it up and puts a different pasta in every time.

This is chicken and potatoes with peppers. I don't know what my host mother does to make the potatoes extra special, but they are soooo good. I always get excited when we have them.

This is a pretty common Spanish food, called a tortilla. It's mostly made out of potatoes and it's really good. Another one of my favorites.


This is flan, my favorite dessert food. :) It comes in a cup (you can see it in the background) and you have to flip it upside down onto the plate. We have flan a lot, but I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. I want to bring some home with me when I leave haha. Other than flan, we usually have fruit, yogurt or natillas (kind of halfway between yogurt and pudding) for dessert.

Well, I guess that's it for now. I'll try to write about my new classes as soon as I can.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario