We arrived late morning, and began the tour of the city with some free time to walk around, which we mostly spent looking at the acueduct, which Segovia is famous for. It was built by the Romans to bring water from the mountains around Segovia to the castle, which is on a hill across the valley from the mountains. Here are some pictures:
Next we began our guided tour through Segovia. I enjoyed all of the narrow, twisty streets and the beautiful buildings. Segovia is also known for the decorations and carvings that are on the outsides of the buildings. Since the stone that is available around the city is not very high quality and doesn't look very nice on it's own, many of the buildings have cool patterns carved into the stone, which is called esgrafiados de Segovia. Here are some pictures of this, as well as some other random city shots:
Then we went to the cathedral, which was gorgeous of course, just like all of the cathedrals here. After seeing so many cathedrals it's not quite as exciting, but it's still so beautiful. I tried to take pictures inside, but a security guard told us we couldn't, although there was no sign so we didn't know beforehand.
Our last stop for the day was the castle in Segovia. This was my favorite part of the day. We toured the castle and then we also went up to the top of the tower. We had to go up the longest, narrowest spiral staircase I'd ever seen (I actually got a tiny bit claustrophobic) but it was well worth it when we got to the top. I wish I could post all of the pictures I took, but it would be a lot, so I'll just give you the highlights of the castle pictures.
View from the top of the tower
The staircase we came up
I guess that's it for my trip to Segovia. This weekend I'm going to Germany!! I'm sure I'll have tons of pictures from that and lots to write about. I'm so excited!
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario